Saturday, November 29, 2003

Change

"Who can say if I've been changed for the better. . .
I do believe I've been changed for the better. . .
and because I knew you. . .
I have been changed for good."
-Wicked

For those of you who don't know about this fabulous musical. Wicked is based on the novel (of the same title) by Gregory Maguire. The book was written by Winnie Holzman and the music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz. The story is essentially a revisionist history telling of The Wizard of Oz. In this version Dorothy is simply an irritating device, the true story is about the Wicked Witch Elphaba, and her relationship with Galinda. "The 'Ga' is silent." With a cast including Joel Grey, Carole Shelley, Idina Manzel, and Kristin Chenoweth this is a great production. The song quoted above is a final duet between Elphaba and Galinda.

So here I am, my second time seeing this fabulous musical, and this particular song is making me weep like a ninny. Thank goodness my father was crying too or my masculinity would have been seriously insulted. I was so genuinely touched by the relationship that these two women have, that it struck a chord with every good relationship in my life. It is a remarkable idea to think about how we change on another.

In my life I have been fortunate to have a string of wonderful people pass through. I think perhaps the mark of a great friend is that they have truly changed you. The people that I hold closest are the ones that I can't imagine who I would be if they hadn't been there. Sometimes friends come in surprising packages. To all of the people who have changed my life, I am sending you this quote. I think you'll know who you are. You have all touched me and I have grown.

No comments: