Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Turkey and Plants

Tattoos went well. I will post a picture soon. It was great to see Maryanne. She is creating genius to apply to the Creative Writing Program at Brown. I love knowing so many smart artists. Now I'm in full Thanksgiving mode.

I started shopping today. Some baking has begun. Today I made Cranberry Orange nut bread with almonds and walnuts. I may have to bake more before Thanksgiving. It's just too good to stop eating. I think the menu is as follows:

2 x 23 lbs. Turkeys
Cornbread-Garlic stuffing (in bird and out)
Yellow Squash w/ White Cheese Sauce and Almonds
Tangerine Glazed Green Beans and Almonds
Sweet Potato French Fries
Mixed Potato Roaster (poss. w/ celery root)
Ambrosia
Cranberry Nut Bread
Buttermilk Pie a la mode
maybe a Cranberry Chutney (or plain old canned cranberry sauce)

My parents got into town today. It makes me feel like I'm six years old. I get so excited for their arrival. I had to declare two of my plants goners today after months of trying to nurse them to health. I went to the nursery to find replacement plants. I came home with four. I did not do my usual pre-shopping research today, so these will be a rushed learning experience.

One of the plants already threw me a curve ball. It's called a prayer plant. It has the most beautiful variagated leaves with a red vein. The leaves are round and fan out from a central point. After dinner I went in to light my tea lights and all of the leaves had folded into the center. At first I thought something was wrong, then I realized that must be why they call it a prayer plant. A little research proved me correct. The prayer plant folds its hands each evening in prayer. Again 10 points and a gold star for god.

I was romanced today by a pitcher plant. Does anyone have any idea how hard they are to keep alive?

I'll write something more interesting tomorrow.

No comments: