Saturday, November 08, 2003

Limiting Voices

An Elephant Never Forgets!

Somewhere in my travels I heard this story. I took it for the source of this famous expression, but having done no research as to the source or validity, I make no attempt to authenticate this information.

From the very beginning of their lives, baby elephants in the circus would be staked in using a long stake and a sturdy chain that was completely immovable to them. The system by which they were held captive was such that it seemed quite extreme in comparison to the girth and strength of such a young elephant. As they grew and struggled through the phases of development they learned that no struggle, no mighty yank, would possibly yield freedom. Once they reached a certain age they began to stop struggling. As adults these same elephants were kept with such meegar systems as twine or thin rope. As long as something was wrapped around the foot where elaborate shackles and chains had once been, the elephants would maintain the learned distance from the stake. Obviously an elephant has the strength to break most standard ropes, and probably some small chains; Ah, but the elephants had learned their limitations, and "an elephant never forgets!"

Lately I have run into the twine around my ankle in several areas of my life. It usually comes as limiting voices from my past. They come from so many sources, and (as I had good mentors, teachers and heroes in my life) I imagine none of the people who created them intended to do so. Regardless of the intentions behind them, there is a tape which plays for almost any endeavor I take on. There is a sound loop of "You'll Never's" and "You Can't's" which seems to get louder the more I stretch myself and try to succeed. Some of these limiting voices are even my own, sailing forward through cerebral highways and byways, from moments in which I had much less faith in my self.

I know that I am worthy of success. I know that I have a wealth of things to offer this world. But somehow, every time I step into a high pressure situation. . ."YOOOOOOUU SUUUUUCK!". . . "GIIIIVE UUUUP BEEEFOOORE IT'S TOOOOO LAATE!" There they are again.

My solution is to try to find as many encouraging voices in my life as I possibly can. I try to seek guidance from people who want me to succeed, and to avoid any sort of mentor or teacher who deals in cant's, wont's, and never's. This part is fairly easy. The harder part is trying to cleanse my own criticisms of the same kind of language. Growth is such an irritating process!

What I wonder, is why do these voices play so loud? How often do we create them in the lives of people we love? And, how many children are we staking to the ground with the things we say?

What if everyone made an effort every day, to give someone near them wings? Say YES to someone close to you. Because they will never forget it.

Another sourceless anecdote:

The mass of a bumblebee's body exceeds the lift which can be created by their wing surface. There is no explanation for the physics of how they fly. The bumblebee flies anyway. Perhaps the bumblebee has no language for the word "NO"

No comments: