Monday, December 22, 2003

Mistletoe and High Alert

Well my display isn't updating, but we are officially at nation wide terror alert level high. I find myself dreaming of explosions in the Lincoln Tunnel. I can tell that this morning I will be white knuckling it across the GW Bridge. I am officially terrorized. I'm not sure if this is because of terrorists or because we have such a vigilant warning system. Last night as I was driving home from Manhattan I kept wandering through scenarios of what would happen if my parents plane had been the one to be ripped from the sky. I imagined getting the kind of phone call that everyone dreads. I was truly relieved to get the call from them to say they were safely on the ground.

I love this city. I can't explain the way it felt to stand on the Long Island Sound, and feel the rumble when those towers fell. My nose still remembers the smell of that tragedy as it hung in the air, and the sight of the fire-fighter next door trudging home for many nights in his dress uniform. I hate the terror alert system. What am I going to do? Know that it could get me? Great! I get it. So in the midst of our Christmas panic, the roots are not just last minute shipping. . .Are those presents ticking?

No comments: